There are many special teachings in the Shangpa Lineage but the most important are called the Five Golden Teachings, which are likened to the parts of a tree.
- The roots of the tree are the Six Teachings of Niguma; the teachings on Heat, the Illusory Body, and the Dream sate, Sheer Clarity, Transference and the Bardo between death and birth.
- The trunk is considered to be the Locket tradition of Mahamudra, which combines Mahamudra teachings of Niguma, Maitripa and Sukhasiddhi.
- The branches of the tree are the three methods of carrying one’s understanding in meditation into daily activity
- The flowers are the practice of development and completion with the White and Red Dakinis.
- The fruit is the Teachings on the Deathless Nature of mind and body.